How to fix any SOCIAL FOLLOW button added load time
While they are vital to be present, not any feature implementation is ok.
If you consider loading time a decision factor, then use these recommendations to power up your WordPress Speed Up.
How to fix any SOCIAL FOLLOW button added load time?
- DO NOT:
- - Keep it simple. Use only the most common social media profiles.
- - Don't use a dedicated plugin. Especially, not a dedicated plugin per social media profile.
- - Consider resolution. Analyse your analytics for screen size. No need to use ultra HD follow buttons, if nobody has ultra HD resolution.
- - Don't use the code provided directly from your social media platform. Loading a few bytes from external source is a drag on performance.
- - Avoid big images and shiny buttons. They just add extra weight for a feature rarely used, when you consider speed for that specific page.
- - Avoid duplicating social follow buttons. There is no need to have the same links inside your posts, inside your pages, at the end of a post again, then in the header and another set in the footer.
- - Don't use the social media channels default fonts (and sizes). Adding a font just for a few "follow us ..." words is bad for the loading time. Having several font types and sizes on the same page is ugly and confusing.
- - Don't use codes, that show how much followers you have. While its a nice feature (and useless, since you can buy followers), making a call to each social media platform to count the number of followers to load a webpage it's a bad thing to do.
Very Affordable for all that it offers!
Cheaper, than a new website. Cheaper, than designers + developers + system administrators hired for various optimisation tasks.
- What Should You Do?
- - Use favicons instead of pictures - if you already load any favicons.
- - Create your own direct links. Make sure you specify to open the URL in a new tab.
- - Move this outside content area, like into footer. There is no need to load your social profiles on each page, over and over.
- - Consider PLATFORM ONLY approach. No need to display a social follow link (like Instagram), to a native app only social media profile. Use it only on mobile, where the native app can handle the social interactions.
- - If you need to add several social media profiles, then add the most common 3-5 in your footer and the rest of the niche social media channels, where they matter the most - at the end of your creative posts, with an appropriate CTA.
- - Consider GEO-TARGETING. No need to display a social follow link (like WK or OK), to a visitor from the other side of the planet, who do not use or even heard of these. Use geo-targeting features only, if you already use them. Making a decision to display an icon can have adverse load time effects, rather than just displaying it.
FASTER and much CHEAPER
Compared to designers + developers + system administrators hired for various WordPress performance optimisation tasks.