The complete guide for your very own LANDING PAGE MONITORING contains the foundation tasks to implement a decent LANDING PAGE MONITORING strategy with the additional why, how, tips & tricks and step-by-step walkthrough with pictures, to serve as visual aids.
Let’s start with: WHAT IS A LANDING PAGE?
A landing page is a specific webpage, created especially for the purposes to be unique and to stand out. It always represents high-value pages, critically important for the business and the website. It’s where a visitor “lands” when they have clicked on a link, mostly dedicated to a keyword. So basically this is our example, the landing page for owl MIN: https://owlpower.eu/owl-suite/owl-min/. This should be always monitored!
Why have your own LANDING PAGE MONITORING?
Simply put: if something happened with your landing page, this is the first alert that should notify you. The fact, that your server is running, and your domain is ok, does not mean, that your landing page works. If this is a vital URL for your business, then it should be monitored constantly.
To explain more simple, let’s imagine, that your website is your online business. And your business promotes 3 products or services. Each page for those three products or services is a landing page. If that page does not work, anything else is irrelevant for a customer because it cannot buy or for a visitor, because it cannot be converted to a lead. So, monitoring your landing pages alongside your domain is crucial.
How to implement your LANDING PAGE MONITORING?
Setting up a LANDING PAGE MONITORING is extremely simple. Follow these steps:
- Step 1 – You just type in (or navigate to) your landing page URL in a browser. Your landing page should load. It should be similar URL to this, as an example: https://owlpower.eu/owl-suite/owl-min/
- Step 2 – Then copy your landing page URL from the browser.
- Step 3 – Paste it into the “uptime monitoring” field inside your owl MIN.
- Step 4 – Click on the “Start owl MIN” button and wait for the confirmation dialogue.
If all went well, it should look like this:
Tips & tricks for a professional LANDING PAGE MONITORING:
- If your landing page URL looks like this: https://owlpower.eu/owl-suite/owl-min/ – make sure, that you have an SSL certificate correctly installed and configured for your website.
- Make sure you always monitor your HTTPS landing page URL (and make sure HTTP is redirected automatically to HTTPS)!
- Don’t forget to monitor your AMP version of your landing page URL. Always set up a landing page monitor for https://owlpower.eu/owl-suite/owl-min/amp/
- Consider checking intervals between 5 minutes and 15 minutes for your uptime monitoring. We recommend using the same time as you would intervene after receiving a downtime notification.
- Do not setup up several LANDING PAGE MONITORING checks (especially from different providers). This can overload your server. Pick a single, reliable monitoring solution and stick to it.
Consider these arguments before you implement a LANDING PAGE MONITORING:
- Many web hosting companies hide downtime site issues (or they try to downplay it). Extra proof to back up your claims always helps.
- Your web host may have an uptime guarantee, but it is often just a network uptime guarantee. It doesn’t guarantee that your landing pages or website will work, and those two you can screw up yourself by accident or by getting a spike in visitors.
- Your web host doesn’t guarantee that your landing pages or website will work if screw up yourself by accident or if you’re getting an unexpected spike in visitors.
- There are no “outside business hours” on the web. Downtime at night in your time zone is downtime during office hours in some other place.
- Direct loss from downtime: Every time your landing pages is offline, you are losing money. “Direct loss” means lost revenue resulting from the unavailability of the landing pages.
- You shouldn’t allow your users or customers to act as your monitoring. If they know before you do, that can easily get very embarrassing.
- Is your landing pages becoming more or less stable over time? There is no way you can know that without monitoring.
- Keep your customers happy. In almost every industry, the purchasing decision starts with an online search.
- Ensure your hard earned search results rankings. Google will penalize your search results ranking if your landing page is down at unexpected (peak) intervals or longer periods of time.
- Considering the business we’re in, here at owl power we may be biased, but we strongly believe that all website owners out there should monitor their landing pages. We wouldn’t be in this business otherwise, and we do know what we’re talking about.